On March 17, several Shuter residents met with TCHC staff, to get an update on the status of Regent Park phase 2 development. According to TCHC:
- 444 existing units to be demolished during phase 2 (demolition almost complete)
- reconstruction to be completed by Q4 2015
- construction to start near Dundas, then move south, block by block, to Shuter
- rental (ie. RGI and affordable units) planned for block 20, block 22
- condo (ie. market-priced units) planned for block 21
- construction has begun on the aquatic centre, estimated cost is $13 million, to be completed by Q4 2011
- community centre to be built on block 38, for an estimated cost of $27 million, to be completed by Q4 2012
- school renovation to be completed by Q4 2012
- TCHC stated they had not yet made any decision for the development of block 23 (whether condo or rental) for another 6 months; possible that it might be condo (since quota for RGI for phase 2 may have already been satisfied via development of other blocks). Block 23 is zoned for 22 meter height (8 stories), significantly higher than the existing 2-3 story rowhouses across the street in Trefann Court.
- existing housing on block 36 hasn’t yet been demolished; TCHC doesn’t have any definite plans for renewal of this block
Thanks to Claudio on Shuter St for making this meeting happen; thanks also to TCHC staff for a very informative presentation and discussion. The Trefann Court Association looks forward to ongoing information sharing meetings with TCHC.